Monday, June 11, 2018

June 8, 2018 – Day Twenty-Four – Frankfurt to Tampa and HOME

June 8, 2018 – Day Twenty-Four – Frankfurt to Tampa and HOME


So glad that we spent the night so close to the airport!  We get up early and go down to breakfast.  It’s my last latte mochaccino, and croissant, and all the usual breakfast buffet components.  Back upstairs we pack for the last time, neatly gather the debris from last night’s pizza, and head back to the reception desk.  Marilyn asks for a receipt and the lady thinks we need to still pay the city taxes.  No, no.  She explains that the young man last night kept asking for money for one thing and then another and then a third and the receptionist says, “He must have been very stressed” and lets it go. 

Immediately adjacent to our hotel is this view!  Each garden plot is rented to a different person.  They are usually people who live in apartments and have no garden of their own.  It is required that each garden be kept up and the people don't really live in the little houses, the way it looks.  Many of them are flying flags from different countries.  Check out the mural and the rain barrel!


We get our parking ticket validated again and head to the car.  Did I explain last night that you can park in their protected lot for twenty-four hours for six Euros;  but every time you want to leave during those twenty-four hours you have to get your ticket validated so you can use it to leave;  and when you return you get another ticket that will have to be validated, etc. etc.

At the car we stash the last little things in our suitcases, to make our backpacks a bit lighter and plug in the Garmin.  Since we’ve done this once, getting to the airport isn’t difficult.  Parking is another story!  There are multiple parking buildings and Henning didn’t know which one he used, or which one we should park in.  We finally just pick one.  They have a really neat system for finding an open space, though.  There are green arrows to follow toward the open ones.

Once parked we take careful note of the car’s location so we can tell Henning where we stashed it and try to figure out where to go.  Since Lufthansa wouldn’t let Marilyn print her boarding pass we go from pillar to post to find out where to do that.  We are even sent upstairs at one point before being successful.  Then we drop out luggage, which is a multiple-step process, and go off in search of baggage services, to drop off Henning’s keys.  Down an escalator, into Lost and Found where a wonderful lady actually knows what we want and how to get there!

That done we can head for our gate, first passing through Passport Control (easy) and Security (not so much!).  They don’t require you to remove your shoes.  They do require you to remove not just your computer but all your cords and chargers!  I forgot a tiny knife in my wallet;  but the nice man lets me keep it.  Really, unless you stabbed someone in the eye, it would be hard to do any damage.  I usually travel with it in my suitcase;  but I had moved it to my wallet, so it would be accessible if I ever needed it.  I didn’t!  Oh well!

We’re finally at our gate.  We left the airport hotel around eight thirty and are at our gate at noon!!  Whew!  It will be good to be home.  I love our airport!  I hope to never have to fly to, through, or from Frankfurt ever again!  While we’re waiting for our flight I take one last tour through the tourist traps and before you know it, it’s time!!

Odd, after they call all the “special” people, they don’t call zones or rows, everyone just lines up to scan their passes and go downstairs.  We were told that we would have to present our passports one more time.  They didn’t tell us that, like cattle, we would blindly follow those in front of us and wind up boarding busses!  Or that the busses would drive half way across the country to get to our plane, out in the north forty!  We even pass a Thomas Cook’s Tours plane that was closer to the terminal than we were!

We climb the stairs of our Star Alliance A340 and are pleasantly surprised!  There is actually some leg room!  AND no one is in the two middle seats next to me!  And there is no one else in Marilyn’s row!!  Life is improving!  The Universe is making up for that bus ride!

We begin the ten-hour journey.  First there is a packet of mini-pretzels, then a beverage of your choice, including wine.  Then everyone gets a hot cloth to refresh themselves and rinse their hands. Next comes dinner (?) after about an hour or so in the air.  There is chicken breast in red sauce, with mashed potatoes (I think) and mushrooms, mixed greens with Italian dressing, roll and butter, a wedge of brie, strawberry shortcake and a square of chocolate!  Another round of drinks (water seems prudent) and the lights in the cabin are dimmed.  A bottle of water goes to everyone, and later there is a KitKat bar!  When the lights come back up, hours later, we get our second hot meal, pasta in pesto sauce, roll and butter, and vanilla pudding with chocolate sauce. 

During the ten hours I watch a lot of movies – “Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool”, “Abracadabra”, “Her”, “Gone, Baby, Gone”, “Hitchcock”, and “Puss in Boots” (who can resist Banderas?)  I think “Hitchcock” was my favorite.  Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins would always be hard to beat!

We arrive a bit late, due to the bizarre bus ride across the airport;  but we don’t care!  We’re home and just have to make it to Marilyn’s car and our homes.  We deplane and trek through the international terminal to passport control and customs.  With our GOES cards, we just have to put our passports in the GOES machine, let it read our fingerprints (I always have trouble with this part) and go straight to collect our suitcases!  I guess they no longer care how much money we’ve spent on souvenirs.  As long as we don’t bring in animal products, we’re good! 

It takes a bit for the carousel to begin running.  My suitcase comes along fairly quickly;  Marilyn’s isn’t quite so cooperative.  In fact, it takes so long that she goes off to find someone to question.  He assures her that when all the bags have been unloaded, the sign on the carousel will say “all bags are unloaded”.  Eventually it shows up and there are no outward signs of a broken wine bottle inside, so YAY!

Now we just have to exchange our Euros for dollars and retrieve the car from Valet Parking.  Easy Peasy.  The exchange part goes really well;  the nice lady does both our exchanges as one transaction so she doesn’t have to charge us two fees!  She saves me eight dollars!  Now we schlep our stuff across to Valet Parking and ask for Marilyn’s keys.  Henning didn’t give her a claim number,  but she knows the car was dropped off around eleven and that should help.  While the earnest young man is searching I realize that I left Stu’s hat at the currency exchange!  I run back and along the way my boots stick to the floor and I pull a muscle in my back, upper thigh!  I still manage to get back to the window before anyone has made off wit it!  It would have really reeked to have carried is safely all across Germany and the Atlantic Ocean, just to lose it in Tampa!

When I get back, I learn that the car isn’t actually at Valet Parking.  Henning had send a message saying that he couldn’t find Valet Parking and had left the keys at eh reception desk for the Marriott.  You may not know;  but the Marriott isn’t very close to Valet Parking.  We hike across the airport and explain our dilemma to the desk clerk.  The good news is that he actually has the keys!  The bad news is that we have to hike all the way back to get to the parking building where the car is patiently awaiting us, and that we only know the level and the row.  TIA doesn’t have space numbers.  But Marilyn’s keyless entry system lets the car call us!!  Beep Beep!!

We pile everything in the car, praise the Universe for getting us home, and head out.  It only costs us eighteen dollars to get out, which is a huge improvement over what we paid in Frankfurt!  The ride home features a classically beautiful Florida sunset and light traffic.  It’s good to be home!

Good thing I remembered my gate clicker!  I couldn’t have called my cell to click nine, since the phone is dead!  Another reason this new system stinks.  But not a problem today.  I unload all my worldly goods, tote them to my front door, and inset my key.  Presto Chango, I’m home and my kitties are my welcoming committee!  I’m sure going to sleep well tonight, in my own bed, with my furry companions vying for bed space.  Good trip!

1 comment:

  1. Whew. Too bad you don't have any time to relax even after you get home!

    ReplyDelete